Here’s my “make-ahead” chilli recipe! I find that when I eat pasta sauce or curries the next day, it’s so much tastier and the flavours seem more blended!
So this is a simple chilli recipe that i made 2 days before I wanted to serve it, which was today!
1. Heat olive oil
2. Fry 1 diced onion till light golden brown
3. Add ground pork (about a regular size ziplock worth) – cook that till it’s..well…cooked
4. Add 1 small can of tomato paste + I regular size can of diced tomatoes – mix that up with the pork
5. Then the easy part: toss in red kidney beans (or assorted beans), spinach, chopped up potatoes, carrots, corn kernels or whatever vegetable you want to throw in (this is a great dish to use up vegetable odds & ends). I would have put celery too but I didn’t have any handy
6. Season: add 3 cloves crushed garlic, cumin, cumin seeds, salt, pepper, italian herb mix, bay leaf, cayenne pepper (a bit since the kids don’t like spicy and then I just added more in my own bowl) and a bloop of soya sauce
7. Bring to boil then lower to simmer on low for a few hours. That was easy for me coz I just let it simmer while I did the rest of my night routine (making lunches, cleaning up etc). Then cool and put in fridge.
8. Serve the next day or day after! Heat up on stove. Sprinkle some grated mozzarella cheese and some warm bread! Cozy yumminess!