I’m SO stoked! I was actually successful in making this childhood fave of mine!
My dad made it once for my brother & I and it was delicious! And it was one of my comfort foods while living in Manila.
Here’s the recipe:
The only notes I would add are:
1) To avoid frustration, buy the ingredients at an Asian grocery so you find everything you need
2) Add a quarter cup of black eyed peas
3) This dish does require a bit of planning as you may not have the ingredients readily available in your pantry AND you have to presoak the black eyes peas & shiitake mushrooms overnight
4) You need a rice cooker to make this dish – at least a 4 cup one (I assume though that you can make it in a pot, just like you can cook rice in a pot)
5) The recipe calls for glutinous rice. I had Japanese sushi rice and that worked like a charm.
6) The dried shrimp makes this dish more authentic but I didn’t have any so I used regular shrimp. It’s all good! Not a huge difference.
The consistency is a bit like risotto. The flavour is DELICIOUS and the shiitake mushrooms and black eyed peas really make the dish!
Other than the addition of the black eyed peas, follow the recipe as is! You add them when you add the shrimp and other stuff in with the pork. Oh I added chicken as well since I had a left over half a chicken breast already cooked.